Thursday 21 April 2016

CG Project

Microphone model 360
I based this model upon a microphone I have on my desk, that I often use for voice acting. The hardest part was the texturing, I had to select a strip of faces around the side, apply the texture, and then apply two different textures for the front and back. Because it's spherical, the last two textures were quite difficult to get right. There was a lot of tweaking done in both Photoshop and Maya, and I still couldn't get the back texture to not look distorted.

Render-ball test

A small exercise in how to render from Maya. This was useful, because up until now I've just been moving things to 3DS Max to render.
Pre-rigged character walk cycle


Final character performance reference footage


Final character performance
Animating a pre-rigged character was probably the hardest part of 3D animation, because there are so many elements to keep track of and things you need to remember to keyframe. This wasn't too bad in the simple walk cycle, although there was still a lot to think about given the speed, the weight, and the secondary motions. However, in the final performance, when you also have walks, stops, direction changes, and facial expressions, it's quite a bit more complicated. Live-action reference footage helped a lot. Overall, I think I could have improved the timing of my performance by slowing it down and speeding up certain actions, but I'm quite content with what I've achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment